Here's an example of numbering eggs--these are not Tillie's clutch--she was only big enough to cover 6. I
moved food and water closer to the clutch of nests. Hens get off their
"mother nest" very little, and Tillie proved a dedicated mom. She rarely
got off her nest to eat or drink. In fact, she's the most dedicated hen
I've ever had. Her feathers dulled, her comb paled, but she remained
diligent. I
daily checked her eggs and removed any eggs the other hens had laid in
Tillie's nest. Ignoring the multiple empty nests, they daily chose to
hop in with Tillie and contribute to the baby cause. Having been through this process many times, I
had marked Tillie's eggs so I could tell Tillie's eggs from the others.
If you do not remove the renegade eggs, come day 21, you will have some
eggs in different stages of development, and that's not a happy
situation. The
days roll by...15, 16, 17...by day 18, Tillie is looking pretty ragged.
I'm growing concerned. She stays glued to that nest, committed to
motherhood. Day 19, 20. At last, day 21. I go out early. Maybe I will
find tiny little holes in the eggs--LIFE!--where the chick has begun its
journey to life on the farm. Tillie's cranky hen voice doesn't like my inspection. No holes in the eggs. No sign of life. Day 22, no change. Day
23, still no sign of baby chicks. Poor bedraggled Tillie. She looks
like she's been walking in the desert for three weeks. I'm so
disappointed. She's disappointed. I can't stand that look in her eye. I
jump in the car and race to the farm store in our town; it's about 25
miles round trip. As I enter the store, I hear the familiar peep-peep of
little feathered babies. I choose four: two Rhode Island Reds and two
Welsummers. I've never had Welsummers, so thought I'd give it a go. I
waited until dark, then removed the unhatched eggs and replaced them
with the four live chicks. As I left the chicken house, Tillie clucked
her mama voice. I knew all would be well. Occasionally,
a hen will not accept "store-bought" chicks, but before dawn the next
morning, I went to move Tillie and company to the special section of the
hen complex I use for new chicks or convalescing chickens. She was
talking mother-talk to her new babies, and they were responding with
those tiny peep-sounds that only new chicks can make. Not quite a full
peep. Little noises Tillie recognized and accepted. The orphan corporate
chicks had a home. I
was sad for a moment thinking of how new chicks recognize their mother
from hearing her in the days before they hatch. These chicks had not had
that opportunity, but they were devoted to their new mommie anyway. I
settled the little family in their new home, and when I came back after
daylight to check on them, it was the cutest thing. Little yellow heads
peeking out from black mama feathers. Beautiful!! As
days flew by, Tillie began looking like her old self: rich red comb,
shiny feathers, confident stride. The chicks were loving farm life.
However, farm life has its perils. Now there is only one chick left.
She's gloriously red, so I call her Little Reba. I
moved food and water closer to the clutch of nests. Hens get off their
"mother nest" very little, and Tillie proved a dedicated mom. She rarely
got off her nest to eat or drink. In fact, she's the most dedicated hen
I've ever had. Her feathers dulled, her comb paled, but she remained
diligent. I
daily checked her eggs and removed any eggs the other hens had laid in
Tillie's nest. Ignoring the multiple empty nests, they daily chose to
hop in with Tillie and contribute to the baby cause. Having been through this process many times, I
had marked Tillie's eggs so I could tell Tillie's eggs from the others.
If you do not remove the renegade eggs, come day 21, you will have some
eggs in different stages of development, and that's not a happy
situation. The
days roll by...15, 16, 17...by day 18, Tillie is looking pretty ragged.
I'm growing concerned. She stays glued to that nest, committed to
motherhood. Day 19, 20. At last, day 21. I go out early. Maybe I will
find tiny little holes in the eggs--LIFE!--where the chick has begun its
journey to life on the farm. Tillie's cranky hen voice doesn't like my inspection. No holes in the eggs. No sign of life. Day 22, no change. Day
23, still no sign of baby chicks. Poor bedraggled Tillie. She looks
like she's been walking in the desert for three weeks. I'm so
disappointed. She's disappointed. I can't stand that look in her eye. I
jump in the car and race to the farm store in our town; it's about 25
miles round trip. As I enter the store, I hear the familiar peep-peep of
little feathered babies. I choose four: two Rhode Island Reds and two
Welsummers. I've never had Welsummers, so thought I'd give it a go. I
waited until dark, then removed the unhatched eggs and replaced them
with the four live chicks. As I left the chicken house, Tillie clucked
her mama voice. I knew all would be well. Occasionally,
a hen will not accept "store-bought" chicks, but before dawn the next
morning, I went to move Tillie and company to the special section of the
hen complex I use for new chicks or convalescing chickens. She was
talking mother-talk to her new babies, and they were responding with
those tiny peep-sounds that only new chicks can make. Not quite a full
peep. Little noises Tillie recognized and accepted. The orphan corporate
chicks had a home. I
was sad for a moment thinking of how new chicks recognize their mother
from hearing her in the days before they hatch. These chicks had not had
that opportunity, but they were devoted to their new mommie anyway. I
settled the little family in their new home, and when I came back after
daylight to check on them, it was the cutest thing. Little yellow heads
peeking out from black mama feathers. Beautiful!! As
days flew by, Tillie began looking like her old self: rich red comb,
shiny feathers, confident stride. The chicks were loving farm life.
However, farm life has its perils. Now there is only one chick left.
She's gloriously red, so I call her Little Reba. Tillie
was more than ready to join the flock and was determined to sleep in
the chicken house. I wasn't sure Little Reba would fly up on the roost,
so when night settled on the farm, I took my flashlight and peeked in.
Sure enough, Little Miss Reba was sitting right beside her mom on the
roost like a big girl.  | Rocky Rooster showing by crowing who's boss. He flies in and out of the chicken yard at will. | Tillie was happy. Little Reba was happy. Farmgirl was happy.  | Miss Tillie & Little Reba looking for bugs. |
My little flock grazing under Alice, the willow. Mean Millie, Rosie, Miss Tillie, Little Reba & Rocky.  |
No comments:
Post a Comment