Saturday, February 4, 2023

It's Time!!!!

 I LOVE FEBRUARY. And, not just because it's my birthday month.:)

 

This is Sprout....my little greenhouse.



 

 

 

 

This is Sprout all lit up with grow lights!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's that time of year to start our gardens INDOORS. 

 YAY!!!

I start with my Garden Plan 2023 and do a simple calculation:

  1. Begin with the LAST freeze date in my area
  2. Check Almanac suggested planting dates: I use the Old Farmers Almanac.
  3. From that freeze date count backwards the number of weeks suggested for what you are planting
  4. Find the nearest biodynamic planting day
  5. Plant! 

 

  1.  My last freeze date is April 26 (this is APPROXIMATE, MIND YOU!).
  2. Let's use BASIL for example.  The Almanac says to plant basil Feb 17 through Mar 3. That's between 8 and 9 1/2 weeks before last frost. 
  3. Most guides say to plant basil 6 to 8 weeks before last frost, so I'm not too far off those dates. Remember, gardening is an art as well as a science. You don't have to do everything to exact directions, be flexible--to a point. 
  4. February biodynamic planting days for LEAF--the category for basil--are Feb 13, 14, 15, 21, 22 and 23. I choose the day that (a) fits my schedule, (b) stays in the range of the Almanac suggested planting dates and (c) fits the biodynamic calendar. That magical day is February 21.
  5. Plant! :) 

                                             Click here for FREE BASIL COURSE




So, on February 21 I can plant ANYTHING in the LEAF category as long as it fits the other two parameters (weeks before freeze date & almanac suggested planting dates). And, as it so happens I'm planting other herbs such as thyme, rosemary, oregano and sage. 

WHY go through these hoops? It's HARD to plan planting/harvesting by biodynamic dates. Maybe I have scores of other to-do's on that day and it's going to be next to impossible to meet a publishing deadline, attend a committee meeting, have dinner guests AND plant seeds. It's hard.

But, it is SO worth it. I've proven it. Go here to read about my experiment.

 

Biodynamic spinach


GO HERE TO ORDER BIODYNAMOIC PLANTING GUIDE

And, no, I do not receive remuneration for your purchase. :) (Not that there's anything wrong with that--Amazon doesn't do that kind of business in Missouri!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...