Saturday, June 5, 2021

Daisy's Ordeal

 Most folks find using herbal remedies interesting, but are sometimes not convinced of their efficacy.  They subscribe to the Missouri motto "show me", which is ok.  I tend to fall into that category, as well. After all, our culture is steeped in the assurance that the pharmacy carries just the panacea you need in time of crisis. 

Daisy, the Fashionista

Crises are plentiful on farms and mine is no exception.  A few years ago I kept a small herd of dairy goats.  Daisy, the herd mama and boss lady, cut her udder wide open... a gaping three-corner tear that promised ugly tomorrows.

I have a first aid protocol in place that had proven itself during multiple injuries of various animals and family, but it required bandaging.  There was no way Daisy's cut could be bandaged, which produced a persistent doubt about the trusted herbal protocol.

Trying on a hat...
It was a Saturday so I drove to the local feed store.  I love that store--it's small and friendly and I'm greeted not only with a smile but a hug. (Horse Play, Wood Heights, MO)  I proceeded to explain the injury to the proprietor and she thought she had just the ticket.  Another customer piped up and confirmed that aforementioned over-the-counter product did indeed produce miracles.

I guess my herbal soul rebelled a bit and I had a sudden confidence in the herbal first aid protocol that had saved the day many a time.  I decided that I would go the herbal route until Monday--I would be able to tell which way the wound was going--downhill or up!  If it wasn't working I would come back and purchase the highly recommended meds.  

I proceeded to doctor Daisy.  First spraying with hydrogen peroxide and dabbing it off.   Then spraying with echinacea angustifolia tincture.  Then slathering a generous amount of herbal green salve over the wound.  This is where I would normally apply a bandage, but considering the location of the wound, that just wasn't going to fly.

But, ultimately deciding hats were for eating, not wearing.

One of my concerns involved Daisy laying in contaminated barnyard matter with the wound fully exposed.  I changed the herbal dressing three times each on Saturday and Sunday.   By Monday morning the wound had started healing nicely; no sign of infection.

Herbal remedies to the rescue.  Again.  Daisy's ordeal left her with only a slight scar to show for all the trauma.

This is why I use herbal remedies.  This is why I teach herbal remedies.  


Saturday, June 12 at 10:30 am our herb class is on the how-to's of making time-honored traditional herbal treatments.  You will learn the six basic solvents used in making tinctures, salves, oils, decoctions, infusions, oxymels,  and poultices.  Plus, my little secret to super-charging your herbal oils.    

And, best of all, you'll get hands-on experience when you make your own remedy to take home.

Register ahead to receive hard copies of class material.  Register and pay with PayPal in the right hand column.  Text or leave message at 816-853-0440.  Email me at lizzy@rcvfarm.com 

Facebook Event


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...