Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How-To-Tuesday - Dry Canning

 How To yellow

I learned many, many years ago that you cannot leave beans or rice in their original bags.  Little critters will hatch and make a meal out of your meal.  Now, being a self-professed Prepper and interested in long term storage --I dry can.  A term I'm quite sure my mother and grandmother would lift an eyebrow at.

It's QUITE EASY.  There are two ways to do it.

A vacuum sealer.  Or, an oxygen absorber.  Both methods take the oxygen out of the jar/bag so a NOTHING lives in there.  Whala...long term storage.

Vacuum sealers are available in all price ranges and easily found on line.  Place the flat lid on the jar, attach the vacuum apparatus, push the button. Done.

Oxygen absorbers are little square packets that you toss into the food, put on the flat lid, screw on the ring, wait for that sealing "pop", unscrew the ring.  Done.

I used both methods this last week; both worked very well, but I gotta tell ya, I'm in love with the vacuum sealer.
The vacuum sealer attached to jar.

Beans, beans, beans.



Granddaughter Elli helping out.
All done in no time at all.  Shelf life: 25 yrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...