Friday, December 20, 2013

Dirt Farmer Fudge


Oh, even though the weather is BEAUTIFUL outside, I MUST make this fudge today. (Actually, it was yesterday--I couldn't get my pics to load until this morning!) I got this recipe from one of my gardening mentors. His advice on propagating is propelling me into the nursery side of my farm. CLICK HERE TO TAKE A PEEK

I started it last year; this year it's going to blossom. Pun intended. I envision scores--hundreds?--of plants for sale. Stay tuned on that score. But, now, HERE'S THE FUDGE!


First, a few tips: I don't use cocoa on a regular basis so I always sift before I use. Hate those lumps.















USE YOUR LARGEST PAN! It will boil high and higher. Regardless of how much you stir (and you need to stir) it will rise VERY HIGH in your pan. If you have selcected a pan that's too small YOU WILL HAVE A MESS TO CLEAN UP. Not fun.








You may or may not use a cooking thermometer. I used one here just to show you that it is often ready BEFORE the thermomenter registers soft-ball stage.
















The remedy is simple. Have a small bowl of water at the ready. To test the hot seething mass for fudgey readiness simply dribble a bit of chocolatey goodness into your bowl. If it congeals into a little ball of sweetness and you can pick it up with your fingers IT'S DONE. Turn off the heat!!!







Into your LARGEST PAN put cocoa, sugar, salt and milk. And can I just say how it pained me to have to use milk from the grocery store?!!! All my goats are dry right now in preparation for having babies.



Heat and stir and stir and stir--today mine took a half hour-- until you have arrived at soft-ball stage.


It's hard to see but the temp is still about 10 degrees below SB stage. But, as you can see by the photo above, the fudge in the bowl of water is holding together like a champ.









I turned off the heat and set the timer for 10 min. Then stir in the butter, p-nut butter, vanilla and nuts. Well, truthfully, I forgot to add the vanilla DRATS. But, once you start adding you HAVE TO BE QUICK as the fudge will begin to set up.

YIKES! You have to stir like the energizer bunny. Not even time for pics. I should have had FarmBoy Gary standing by with camera but he was busy putting in a wood stove!



Turn into a greased 9x12 pan and let cool for 24 hrs. I use coconut oil for greasing all my baking pans.








It will be crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. Pure heaven. At leastFarmBoy Gary enjoyed licking the pan for his after lunch dessert!


DIRT FARMER FUDGE 6 cups sugar 1 1/3 c cocoa 1/4 t sea salt 3 c milk Put in LARGE pan, bring to boil and stir, stir, stir until comes to soft ball stage. QUICKLY add 2 t vanilla 1 1/2 c p-nut butter, smooth 1 stick butter 1/2 to 3/4 lb walnuts Chill 24 hrs. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...