Friday, November 29, 2013

Shoo Flu Potatoes


Well, Halloween is over. Thanksgiving is over. Who has a mountain of leftovers in the frig?

One of the items mocking me from the refrigerator is the mashed potatoes. I love potato pancakes; why not whip up something HEALTHY and TIMELY? (It is almost December with colds and flu lurking on every Santa bell).



Just take whatever amount of potatoes you had left--I had about a cup.
Chop up some onions. Onions contain the chemical compounds phenolic and flavonoids that basic research shows to have potential anti-inflammatory action. I used 2 green onions.

Now comes the horseradish. Chop finely. For many years I had the progeny of horseradish from my grandfathers farm, but during a winter move it got left behind. But, this horseradish is from my own garden and a decendent of the horseradish root I planted in 2002. It has flourished even having been uprooted for a move from the city to the farm.




Horseradish, a member of the mustard family shares lineage with its green cousin, kale, red cousin, radish and white cousin,cauliflower. Brussel sprouts is also in the family tree. Properties of horseradish include: stimulant, diuretic, diaphoretic, rubefacient, antibiotic, carminative, expectorant,laxative (mild), and antiseptic. All that simply means it's very good for you!








See where I'm going with the SHOO FLU theme?

Add one farm fresh free range egg, sea salt and mix together while thinking good thoughts, drop by spoonfuls in about a teaspoon of coconut oil. I used my mother's iron skillet which never lets me down. Fry until golden brown. Ummmmmm....and SHOO FLU!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Horseradish is a powerful medicinal and this looks like a great way to use it. Thanks!

    I wanted to tell you that I've just published my homesteading book! Shameless self promotion, I know, but I'm so excited I just want to tell the whole world. If you have a chance, please drop my blog to help me celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Leigh, thanks so much for stopping by. I'll check out your book. It sounds like we have a lot in common; too bad we don't live closer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...