Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Best Thing About Waking Up...

There's just something exhilarating about wild life. This morning I tromped up the hill, my thoughts far away from Rocky Creek, my blood not yet pulsing to the new day, Cassie running ahead with dog-like abandon. When I reached the top I glanced up and there stood seven deer looking back at me. Cassie postured back and forth, not barking, just woofing, the deer looking on in wonderment. They stayed several minutes, ran over the ridge then came back for one more peek at us before darting off to the forest. I walked on up to the 930--the highest point of our farm--and saw the little red fox that forages here now and then. I've seen her/him several times and today she was on the hunt for mice. Cassie has been, too, so I was familiar with the stalk, stalk, jump high, pounce, repeat process. The fox did this predator dance just like Cassie does and it was so much fun to watch. As I reached the point of not being able to see up on the ridge, I looked back. Foxy was eating; apparently she caught breakfast. Now, my blood was coursing, I was smiling and I was ready for my own breakfast. This is one of the reasons I love my farm. Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...