Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rocky Creek Farm

You can see I haven't posted in a while. Summer takes its toll on my thyme (snicker-roll your eyes). Actually my thyme flourished this summer; the best crop I have ever had. I have already moved the herbs and flowers indoors for the year (except for Johnny, my huge ficus tree)...we are having unusually cold temps...the freeze will be here this week-end...three weeks early. I need help bringing Johnny in, so need to recruit someone....hmmm...





My BIG news is that we bought a farm. Oh how I love saying that. We have been lusting after a farm for years and this one is perfect for us...it has everything we had on our "want" list. So, Green Blessings Herbs will now be under the auspices of Rocky Creek Farm. I haven't quite figured out how the websites and blogs will be presented as my chief cook and webmaster hasn't completed his analysis of the situation. The Farm will have all of our endeavors under one forty acre"roof": herbs (growing, harvesting, culinary, medicine), mohair (spinning, dyeing, ), classes of all sorts, tours and retail (sale of produce, products and information), festivals, we'll even have a kiln. As you can see Rocky Creek Farm will be a happening place, so stay tuned.



My carrots did exceptionally well this year; my Mini-Auzzie, Sophie, helped me harvest them and discovered she loves them for treats as well! Here is a versatile receipe that incorprates herbs into your diet.



Herbed Glazed Carrots

2 cups sliced and diced carrots

1 cup of chicken stock (homade is better!) or

1 cup of herbal infusion

1 Tbls of honey (local is better!)

1 Tbls of butter (real butter, please)

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until carrots are tender. The carrots will be "glazed"...the syrup should be thick. Watch out and don't burn!

Remove from heat, toss with about a tablespoon of your favorite herb, or try something new! I love tarragon. I grow Texas tarragon...yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...