Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oatmeal station



Brrr. The cold temps are here in the Midwest. It's time to think of warm mittens (does anyone wear mittens any more?), a warm fire in the fireplace and a warm breakfast. PLEASE, if you and/or your family are still eating those cereals...you know the ones...artificial color, artificial flavorings, artificial health...just stop it! I know you want quick. I know you want good. Here is the answer to both. What I call the OATMEAL STATION.


Let's talk oats. Whole oats, steel cut oats are the best. But, they take a little more prep time. Rolled oats are good. Also called pressed oats. Instant oats, NO. Never. They have been processed within in an inch of their lives. Most of my clients use the rolled oats. Me, too. Let's face it, we have places to go and people to see; we're usually in a hurry. If you have to fool around with cooking every morning, trying to get the kids and/or yourself & hubby out the door, you aren't going to have time to cook. So, let's go for the rolled oats.


I keep my station in glass containers on the kitchen counter. Lined up like little soldiers. You could use any canister type containers, I prefer glass, but then I don't have little ones helping themselves. If you do, you may want to use metal for obvious reasons. I don't recommend plastic. I have the oatmeal in the largest jar. Then I have an assortment of goodies: raisins or other dried fruit, coconut-real, not the sweetened kind, cinnamon, several kinds of nuts-we have pecans, almonds and walnuts. Be creative. If there is something your family loves, add it to the station! I put a small 1/8 cup scoop in each container.


Take your bowl and start with the oatmeal, adding anything from the station. Pour boiling water over the contents and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Add sweetener, we use honey or maple syrup or raw sugar. Please don't use white sugar! You can add milk or yogurt or you can eat it without either.


Oats are so very, very good for you. They help with cholesterol, support your heart, support your nervous system and s m o o t h out your digestive system. A daily dose of oatmeal will help you feel better, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...