Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pumpkin Bread--From Pumpkins, Not Cans


Well, I promised this a couple days ago. You know how this time of year is: time is faster than the speed of light.

Retrieve that pumpkin from the front porch and wash it.




I like to use running water, then give it a good squirt of Basic H.








You'll need a fair sized baking dish; I use a deep stainless steel pan. Pour a little water in the bottom.













Remove the seeds; there's a couple of ways. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop them out with a large spoon. I like to cut the pumpkin into quarters then use a knife cutting between the seeds and the flesh. The seeds along with the stringy stuff will come right off.




Slice the pumpkin into smaller pieces and place face down in the pan, then cover with foil.




Bake at 325 degrees; start with one hour.













Check the pumpkin with a fork; it should be nice and tender. Careful when you pull back that foil, the steam will pour out.




Mine was a fairly good sized pumpkin so it needed more time. You will have to judge this yourself. I opted for another half hour.














That proved to be just right. Scoop out the pulp into a food processor. Or a mixer or a potato masher...whatever.






In the past I have made the mistake of immediately using the pumpkin. Well, let me tell ya, it totally messes up a recipe. IT'S TOO WET. So, I strain mine through a coffee filter. You will have to give it some time to drain the juice through.



Now, you're ready to bake, freeze or can your pumpkin. This bread is just too delicious. Of course, I can't eat it because of my alpha-gal allergies, but I got it on good authority that it was yummy.



PUMPKIN BREAD 350 degrees for 1 hr 15 min

3 1/2 c flour 2 c brown sugar 2/3 c sugar 2 c pumpkin 1 c vegetable oil

2/3 c coconut milk 2 t non-aluminum baking soda 1 t sea salt

1 t nutmeg 1 1/2 t cinnamon 1 c chopped almonds

OPTIONAL: 3/4 c coconut

Pour into 2 greased bread pans or 6 small ones. (I use coconut oil.) The small pans took a little longer to bake--10 or 15 minutes longer. Just test with a toothpick; poke it into the center, if it comes out clean it's done. If it is doughy, give it a little more oven time.

SECRET Place foil over the bread pans or in this case punkin' pans; tighten down the edges like your tucking into bed; set your timer for 10 minutes. Remove foil, remove bread from pans onto cooling rack. It will pop out like it was programed to leaving no bread behind in the pan!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I'm going to try this with my cushaw winter squash as I didn't grow pumpkins this year. I have a huge one so it will be lots to can.

    I had to stop by to shamelessly tell you about my homesteading book. It's published! I'm so excited I want to tell the whole world! Please do drop by my blog when you get a chance to help me celebrate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...