Tuesday, March 22, 2011

HOW-TO-TUESDAY - Calcium



It's that time again....

You can probably see a pattern to my posts lately: chickens and eggs. Maybe it's spring, maybe it's the farm speaking to me, maybe it's all my new chicks arriving, maybe it's because I adore Mable (my 12 laying hens) or maybe I just like eggs. Today's HOW-TO is about calcium and how to actually get it inside so your body can use it. So many of the calcium supplements cannot be utilized, broken-down or put to good use inside you. As an herbalist, I have a couple, three actually, good ways to get calcium. Good usable calcium. Calcium that will actually affect your bones by making them stronger and yes, even help to relieve that old-fashioned aching in your bones.

Chances are you have been throwing yours in the trash or grinding it down the garbage disposal, or, if you are really "green", you are tossing your calcium on the compost pile. What the heck am I talking about?

E G G S H E L L S

This first tip is so stinkin' easy your first thought will be that it can't possibly work. Well, it does! When making your next recipe that calls for eggs (please use local farm-pasture-raised eggs!) just follow these simple rules:
1) Save your eggshells.
2) Wash your eggshells.
3) Pour boiling water over your eggshells.
4) Let them cool.
5) Add some lemon. (1/2 tsp per 6 shells)
6) Strain.
7 Use or freeze. Ice trays work wonderfully.

How easy was that? A "dose" is about 1/4 cup of eggshell water. You can just drink it, add it your favorite juice or fruit smoothy. (I have great recipes for smoothies on my website)

Second tip: Instead of water, cover the eggshells with apple cider vinegar DO NOT USE WHITE VINEGAR or I'll have to come out there and get cha! (that's "farm" for get you), organic is BEST. Let it sit at least 2 weeks, 6 weeks is better. Dose is 1 tsp per day.

Third tip: Calcium Tea. If you want to make it yourself the directions are on my website HERE in the Library section under Calcium Tea (Also called Calcium Tisane-I'll explain THAT another day!. It has delightful herbs that are chock full of a lot of minerals, not just calcium. Or, if you want it "ready-made" I also have it for sale in my on-line store HERE

Just in case those "HERE" links don't work (I did just learn how to do it) here's my website: http://www.rockycreekvalley.com

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I would never have known. When I first started reading, I was slightly terrified I was going to have to EAT the eggshells. Relieved that I don't. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting! You are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for these great tips! Cares

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also thankful I don't have to eat the eggshells :) I still can't believe I've never heard of this before.

    Think I'll try whipping up a batch after Sunday breakfast... Almost Hubs LOVES his eggs. :) (Yes, from our favorite "portuguese chicken lady" as we call her.)

    And yes! Spread the word about Lisa's Extreme Home Makeover opportunity! Copy and paste me as many times as you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one's a keeper! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's so funny you guys thought you were going to have to eat the shells! That never occured to me! My chickens eat them (for the calcium and grit, my worms eat them (for the grit) (yes, I raise worms) and I compost them. So, eggshells are in great demand in my house! Glad to see you are "game" to try it. :) e

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...